Add To Favorites
Charges dropped against three nurses in Hollywood Hills nursing home deaths after Hurricane Irma
South Florida Sun Sentinel - 9/22/2022
Broward prosecutors dropped charges against three Hollywood nursing home employees who had been charged with manslaughter following the deaths of 12 patients in sweltering conditions in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma in 2017.
Sergo Colin, supervising nurse; and two nurses on duty at The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills — Althia Meggie and Tamika Miller — were originally accused of failing to properly care for the patients after the storm knocked out air conditioning at the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills.
It took two years to conduct the criminal investigation and bring charges against Colin, Meggie and Miller. Jorge Carballo, the nursing home’s chief administrator, was also charged.
Prosecutor Chris Killoran said in court Thursday that the case against Carballo is going forward. Jury selection is scheduled to begin in his case on Oct. 18.
Defense lawyers David Frankel, Lawrence Hashish, James Cobb and Ima Ocasio-Yrady had long sought a dismissal of the criminal charges, arguing that the state never specified what their clients did or failed to do to warrant a manslaughter conviction. The tragedy at Hollywood Hills was not a crime, they said.
For Carballo, that issue will be resolved by a jury.
Killoran did not explain why the state will not pursue prosecution of the nurses.
This is a developing story, so check back for updates. Click here to have breaking news alerts sent directly to your inbox.
©2022 South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Visit sun-sentinel.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.