1. Start with a sturdy, modern, certified crib. Acquire the mattress; (thick and firm is best so the sides don’t bend) and assemble the bed.
2. Customize and lower the spring set just an inch and one-half (1.5 inches) of overlay between the top of the mattress and the lower edge of the sideboards.
3.The crib’s wooden front slider rail will be destroyed in this modification. It is suggested to find another.
4. Trim and glue back the square vertical plugs cut from the slots. Each slot needs to be as deep as possible and if possible double-bolt both sides (four bolts) to insure stability.
5.The clearance height of the crib, from the lower edge of the spring-set to the floor, should allow an inch or two from the lower edge of the spring-set to the lap.
6. Router-groove one edge each of the new top and bottom lateral front rails to accommodate a ¼ inch aluminum track. Allow space at each end for a spring-pin-hinge-base. The double-cupboard shutter rail-panels should be self evident. We used some of the members from the old discarded baby crib to fabricate the side edges of each cupboard panel.
7. Lastly use bronze furniture bolts with flat-head inset hex-sockets in all fasteners.