--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To create a small adapted communication tool for use during meal and snack time for children with communication disabilities.
MATERIALS USED: Four-sided grater, felt material, hot glue gun, communication symbols, Hook Velcro®, dark-colored marker, scissors
1. Lay the four-sided grater on the felt material.
2. Trace the outline of both the wide and narrow sides of the grater.
3. From the felt, cut two of each size to cover all four sides of the grater.
4. Glue the fabric to the grater with hot glue.
5. Attach ‘hook’ Velcro® to the back sides of the communication symbols.
6. Attach the symbols to the felt on the grater.
Ways to Adapt this Activity
A different display could be used instead of the grater, such as a shoebox or other small cardboard box.
Author: Designing Environments for Successful Kids (D.E.S.K.), Wisconsin AT Initiative, Fort Atkinson, WI